Disaster recovery and how we keep your data safe¶
Managed Hosting solution infrastructure has multiple redundancies to keep your data safe and secure in case of a disaster. Even in the off chance of a natural disaster wiping out an entire data center, we have still got you covered. Below are just a couple of ways how we are prepared for any worst-case scenario.
We utilize Amazon Web Service, Google Cloud Platform, Yandex Cloud, OVH, and more.¶
We use a lot of platforms which are duplicate each other. All of these companies are the biggest cloud computing providers in the world. They have state-of-the-art data centers designed to withstand disasters and they are also using the same technology and hardware that runs Amazon, Google apps, Yandex, and a lot of other biggest worldwide and well-known companies.
Automatic snapshots and backup of every project¶
We create snapshots of every website every 24 hours for 7 days or on the option your business requires. If you need another backup period, don't hesitate to contact us. If your site is affected by an incident unrelated to our infrastructure, you will always have website backups. We restore them upon your request ASAP.
Besides automatic backups for each client website, we create and store persistent disk snapshots of every server and component in our infrastructure every 12 hours for 24 hours. This means that if your website snapshots were unusable for some reason, we have snapshots of our entire infrastructure we could use to restore your data.
We monitor all websites and servers' health every moment.¶
We check the status of all websites we host every 1 minute. Also, we monitor ~300 operating system and server software metrics, 50 hardware parameters per 1-5 min as required. That translates to 1440 web checks for each of your websites and 250 000 server-side metrics every day. We forecast analytic and do AI learning procedures for triggers on this data. If we notice something wrong on your site, our team will typically reach out to you before you even realize there is a problem. In other words, we will improve our monitoring system to handle future incidents.
We keep you informed¶
You will be notified via email and a ticket message at the top of your Managed hosting dashboard (Scalesta) for any issues affecting your websites. Also, we provide Slack and Telegram notifications for the Cloud and Scalable hosting solution. If there is a system-wide outage or network event, these will be posted on your account at the top of the page ad a notice.
Disaster recovery plan (step-by-step)¶
- Step 0: The beginning of the incident (00:00)
- An attempt to correct the situation by self-healing methods
- Step 1: Notification of the specialist on duty (01:00)
- Initiation of incident response work, determining the root cause of the problem
- Alerting the client for critical issues
- Step 2: Determining the root cause, determining the timing and planned work further (05:00)
- Client notification
- Step 3: Formation of the final disaster recovery plan (15:00)
- Providing recommendations
- Obtaining the necessary access from the client, if the necessary ones are not available
- Step 4: Pre-final assessment of the situation (30:00)
- Pre-final assessment of the situation based on monitoring data and data (or lack thereof) from the service provider
- Waiting for accesses if needed for disaster recovery
- Recovery from natural disasters becomes "pending repair" status
- Step 5: Start of recovery work (45:00)
- Start of recovery work on a new server from the nearest snapshot or backup
- After the incident (45:00+)
- Description of the reasons and what was done
- Recommendations and work to prevent this in the future